Gustafsons' Island

Our vacation on Kauai

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Washington, United States

My name is Suzy. My first guide dog was named Mirage. She retired to Mari in February 2013. Pilgrim is my second guide dog. We are graduates of Guide Dogs for the Blind.I have a progressive degenerative genetic eye condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa and I see as if through a keyhole. I am thankful for my remaining eyesight. I appreciate the companionship and mobility Mirage and Pilgrim bring to my life.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Waves of Bliss

At 6:45, the light beyond my eyelids awakens me. I LOVE sunrise. And have missed far too many this past year, unlike Dan. With our days numbered here at The Cliffs I need to squeeze every last drop of nectar from each day; and we do.


We sit out on the cliff's edge, enjoying the high surf, and each wave as it breaks. The air is warm but cool rains are forecast for the islands. I decide to expand my horizons today and go to the Ashtanga Yoga class instead of the safe routine of Hatha Flow.

I've taken this 2 hour class in years past. It is comprised of a series of poses. Five minutes of downward facing dog opens the class, and I know I am about to perspire heavily (and go where I have not gone before). Cleanse in a word. . . . Purge! "Teachers love it when you cry." And I do.

After Dan gathered up what was left of me, we came home to regroup. The rains arrived at the biginning of class, and the pour was seriously underway. What to do? "Let's go swimming!" The rain is warm and the hot tub feels so refreshing to me. Dan loves the cooler pool. We take a few Pose of the Day shots. Todays pose will be Dandhurasana.


"Yoga is not for the faint of heart.
It takes response-ability ( or the ability to repond)." ~ Tara
"To change from the inside out, to be transformed by each breath; cell by cell." ~ Bravani

Todays class began with Ujjayi breath, constricting the glottis, and filling ourselves like a bullfrog. Moving from the inside out.

After our swim, it's off to lunch at the Hanalei Bay Resort. The pouring rain continues. Dan orders a hamburger, it's roasted red pepper and tomato soup for me. Then home for a little rest, it's a "blissfully stay drowsy" sort of day. The ocean is so choppy, even the whales are taking a holiday.

Truly, everyone is going deeper! We noticed birds under the chairs at lunch
Then Oprah, and the end of the lilkoi goats cheese on toasted baguette. I cannot describe its wonderful qualities in this blog. It would be x-rated. But the goats and dairy are located where we photographed Viparita Karani yesterday, on Kahuna Road. We will try to buy more.

Tonight we plan to grill chicken and toss it with mandarin oranges, avocado and Kilauea greens. We do watch TV each night, and keep up with the news, although floating just above the earth is an awesome privilege.

Today Bhavani also said, "To live humbly doesn't deplete you, it fills you." I like this. We actually 'do Hawaii' as simply as we are able.


Mahalo, Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home