Gustafsons' Island

Our vacation on Kauai

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Washington, United States

My name is Suzy. My first guide dog was named Mirage. She retired to Mari in February 2013. Pilgrim is my second guide dog. We are graduates of Guide Dogs for the Blind.I have a progressive degenerative genetic eye condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa and I see as if through a keyhole. I am thankful for my remaining eyesight. I appreciate the companionship and mobility Mirage and Pilgrim bring to my life.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Hanalei Aloha

Our last day on the North Shore dawns, tomorrow we will pack it up and move to Poipu, on the South Shore for our last few days. So it's not really over, just a day of anticipating transition.

The day is full of 'Nectar.'

Bikram yoga at 9:30-11 a.m. Here yoga is performed in a heated room, try 105 degrees! It is a series of poses, and a mild 'drill seargant' struts around directing the class. Between poses there are sit ups. I wasn't looking forward to this class, even though I chose it. (I took one for the team, so we have have a stretch of uninterrupted beach time this afternoon, and are able to attend a 4 p.m. concert.)

I am so glad the teachers name was Janice. It made all the difference. I told her I was visually impaired and described my field of vision. She was cool with it; gentle on me, and compassionate. I did my best and pushed through my fears. She afterwards told me I was an inspiration. A wonderful last class in the series of ten. I feel gratitute for Yoga Hanalei. Thet have the wisdom literature of Patanjali, the sanskrit and are upholding the 40,000 year old tradition of teaching. I did not receive the Yoga Sutras and Upanishads in my teacher's training. And I love the inspirational literature.

Today's Pose of the Day is Nataranjasana, or Dancer's Pose. You have never seen me teach this pose because I have never thought I could do this pose.

Here's what Janice said:

"Hopefully we learn to embrace those poses for which we have the most Resistance."

And, "We learn to move past our mind and past our resistance into the sticky (as in stuck) and muddy."

After Dan picks me up, we go home for a light lunch, Macaroni Salad. It's tradional Hawaiian faire. Dan adds diced onion, olives, and peas! A feast with Kauai tomatoes.

Then we're off to reacquaint with some favorite beaches: Lumahai and Tunnels and Hanalei Bay so Dan can dip. "The creature of Hanalei Bay" ooh!

We have snorkeled Tunnels until we know the underwater like the back of our hand. There are caverns you can enter through tunnels. We love seeing Angel Fish. Today we watched a dog swim out to sea, to be with his 'man' and then guide him back to shore, looking back to make sure the man is safely making his way to shore. Talk about inspiring.

We arrive early for Doug and Sandy McMaster's Slack Key Guitar Concert 4-6 p.m. The sounds are so soft and sweet they can lull you to sleep or bring you to tears. We heard Amazing Grace and Puff the Magic Dragon and old songs from paniolo days.

Dinner is a New York Filet and my ahi tuna, with baked potato and salad. A shiraz rounds out the menu.

I am exhausted by the sea the sun and the emotion of today,

It's a sunset photo and Mahalo~

Love Susan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mornings are beautiful, and to awaken to such beauty, it does take your breath away.
The yoga you are doing sounds amazing. I may need to try some of those poses. I think I may have done the Ujjayi breath, or something similar at the yoga sessions I had in Mexico.
Your pictures are stunning. You bring us there.
Your home is well, we finally took a hot tub, it was wonderful, a cool breeze blew overhead.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried Nataranjasana when I saw your blog this morning. It requires some balance, but I did it.

My kitty is wanting attention after being home alone for two days.

I enjoyed the story of the dog swimming out to his man and guiding him back to safety.

Snorkeling in The Tunnels sounds so awesome. I have never heard of them before. What a fantastic expereince.

Are you doing anymore painting these last few days? Love Lorraine

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home