Gustafsons' Island

Our vacation on Kauai

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Washington, United States

My name is Suzy. My first guide dog was named Mirage. She retired to Mari in February 2013. Pilgrim is my second guide dog. We are graduates of Guide Dogs for the Blind.I have a progressive degenerative genetic eye condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa and I see as if through a keyhole. I am thankful for my remaining eyesight. I appreciate the companionship and mobility Mirage and Pilgrim bring to my life.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Floating in Poipu



I am Cleopatra, laying on my barge, floating in Poipu. The large elephant ear palms are fanning my bronzed skin. I hear doves cooing, roosters calling from the banks, and fragrant flowers lightly scenting the moist air.

My husband sits in front of the TV, watching the SuperBowl XL. The appetizers are odd; bananas, oranges, peanut butter, lilikoi goats cheese and a little baguette. I must be dreaming!

Our condo is furnished with so much art, and parrots are not scarce. . . no wonder I'm painting them, I see them everywhere I look.




The day started normally enough. Church at Lihue Lutheran with retired Pastor Magnuson, in his wheelchair. His theme was, "God loves you, Deal with it!" Church went long, an hour and a half. It was so heartfelt.

I compiled every item in the fridge to come up witha 'fusion' breakfast, we're using up all the leftovers today.

So the end is near, but we're still 'sipping the Nectar' in each moment. . .

After church we drove by the sugar mill.. it's now an ATV Park. Sugar is out, tourism is in. The south shore is much more elite, golf and tennis clubs and shopping, I guess.




Our best morning ever is watching the Honu from the sacred fishing grounds. In no time at all we see turtles as old as St. Raphael's Church. that would be 150 years old. They kind of hang at a 45 degree angle in the surf, floating and body surfing. You can really see them well when the curl of the wave is translucent, they look like gigantic olive disks. And then A Monk Seal swam by. Yes, they are endangered. When they crawl up onto the beach, the biologists fence off the area with yellow tape. And this huge mammal scoots by like a cloud in the sky.

The afternoon is spent floating on my green plastic 'barge' (lawnchair).

After the big game we'reoff to Lawaii for our last dinner at The Beach House. Our best meal on this Island, ever. We share the macadamia nut encrusted crab cakes in a papaya black bean salsa with ginger buerre blanc. Dan enjoys the duck and I this mushroom risotto layered with baby spinach, and kauai tomato salsa.
Followed by the Molten chocolate souffle and vanilla ice cream. Mmm. . . too good for words.
Once Home we watch Desparate Houswives and Gray's Anatomy.

Tomorrow we fly home. We are happy to share our final sunset from the Beach House overlooking Lawaii Beach. It has been 16 days of heavenly bliss. Santosha~ deep contentment,



Mahalo Nui Loa Kauai,
Love Susan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, your prose is so beautiful. What a wonderful time you've had. Your painting of the parrot is so adorable, it's got to be one of my favorites. The food you've enjoyed...

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home