Gustafsons' Island

Our vacation on Kauai

My Photo
Name:
Location: Vancouver, Washington, United States

My name is Suzy. My first guide dog was named Mirage. She retired to Mari in February 2013. Pilgrim is my second guide dog. We are graduates of Guide Dogs for the Blind.I have a progressive degenerative genetic eye condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa and I see as if through a keyhole. I am thankful for my remaining eyesight. I appreciate the companionship and mobility Mirage and Pilgrim bring to my life.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

The South Shore

We leisurely pack our clothes, music, movies, toiletries and food. Checking out at ten, we pause to drain the last of the rum into the last of the passion fruit juice and take one last long look at the whales, frolicking beyond The Cliffs.

To Hanalei, for a last long look, and an urgent trip to the Farmer's Market for more lilikoi goat's cheese, which the owner described as like 'cheesecake.' Better than I could do to link it to an earthly entity.

We try to buy a Hawaiian dress at Tropical Tantrum, because this is always so much fun, but the sale rack only yields one outstanding fit. And it's forest green! (Not to mention the astronomical price at even 50% off). No sale.

We have lunch at the Waimea Plantation Brew Pub. It is set on the sunny south shore, dry heat with cacti and bouganvilla, and all the palms and star lillies imaginable. Here is what Dan orders, the Thai beef salad:


He asked me not to let him order the hamburger, because he's been disappointed in it in the past. I have salad and fries. I can't remember what it feels like to be hungry we've eaten so bountifully. And we have reservations for after Mass at Pomodoro's in Kaleho.

When we check in we are surprised to have a two bedroom two bath condominium. I get lost in the space.With my limited sight, I don't quite know where I am in relation to so dark a hallway with so many doors. I ask Dan to call "Marco" every three minutes so I can be led to his voice. "Polo," I reply as I venture through the home. Dan unpacks his three shirts to the walk-in closet, I lay out my church clothes.

Then it's off to see the Honu (turtles) that float on the waves . It's a little windy by 3 p.m. so we bring beach towels to wrap up in. It's hard to spot their little necks reaching out of the surf, so we didn't try for a photo.

Mass at St. Raphael's was sweet. The Father asked that those who were celebrating wedding anniversaries in February and March to come forward for a special blessing. We were blessed and sprinkled with holy water. Then he re-wrote our wedding vows to say, "The Wife may now kiss her groom!" We did.

Off to Pomodoro for a wonderful Italian feast! Exceptional lasagna and manicotti. . . alas, no photograph. Then home to bed before the alarm rings, calling us to Lihue Lutheran.

There really is no Pose of the Day: This is Vasisthasana, strive to find balance in each day. "Sleep eight hours, work eight hours and play for eight hours." ~ Dr. Blair

Apparently our return to planet Earth is imminent.

This night, no sounds of crashing surf to sing us to sleep: a part of the weaning process, Hawaiian Aloha 2006.

Sweet Dreams ~Susan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, My goodness, you certainly do have a largre condo now! Room for guests.....oh I wish!

I just returned from Bend. Several feet of snow in the mountians. We even had a sprinkling in town! So pretty. It snowed and was windy all day while we skied in the fantastic Ponderosa Pine forests on Saturday. We were somewhat sheltered by the trees. The sun peeked out now and then.

Back to work today on swing shift.

I found a pretty Hawaiin dress in the thrift shop in Hilo,Hawaii when I was there. It was only about $5.00. You might check the thrift stores while over there. They have alot of Hawaiian dresss usually, in all sizes. I have out grown mine, but I have hopes to get into it again someday!!!

I swam with some turtles in Kona once. It was fun! They were green turtles and quite large. We were on the beach and saw these dark bumps with eyes staring at us. I grabbed my snrokle and off I went to swim with turtles.

Sunny here in Vancouver today.

Off to work soon. Love Lorraine

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home